Wednesday, December 19, 2012

GUEST COMMENTARY DAY: Former Alabama Basketball standout(final four team) - Betsy Harris

Editor's Note by Stan J. Griffin:  I would like to welcome Betsy Harris as our guest commentator for the Sports Connection today.  Betsy is a former University of Alabama basketball standout and current College of Coastal Georgia Basketball Coach.

 I first got to know Betsy Harris when I was a University of Alabama student working for the UA student newspaper The Crimson White. One of the first regular beats I was given while with the CW was covering the Crimson Tide women’s basketball program, which was just on the verge of growing under  Bama coach Rick Moody. What a great time to begin covering UA women’s hoops as the team became a regular fixture  in the NCAA tournament, and I was fortunate to be able to follow the team in places such as Iowa, Texas and Richmond, Virginia as the program reached the Final Four. I made a lot of friends with the coaches and players, but Betsy was always one of my true favorites, not only because she was a deadly 3-point shooter, but also because she was and is a very nice person. I am glad to still call her a friend and I think you will find her commentary interesting.

 My Alabama Days by Betsy Harris
I took my second visit to the University of Alabama my senior year of high school. I didn’t tell the coaches I was coming because I needed to see if Alabama was the place I wanted to be to play my next four years of basketball. I went to the heart of campus, the Quad, and walked the sidewalk around it. As I was walking, a feeling of home came over me and I knew Alabama was the place for me. I was a part of Head Coach Rick Moody’s first recruiting class in his second year of coaching the women’s basketball program. In his fifth year at Alabama we made it to the school’s first (men’s or women’s) NCAA Final Four. It was the beginning of many more NCAA Tournaments the program would make.

My freshman year was a year of learning and perseverance. I graduated from a small high school in Mississippi with 54 people in my senior class so when I began my first day of classes at Alabama I was overwhelmed. There were more people in my Biology class than there were that graduated with me in high school. My Math professor was from another country so it made it difficult to understand what he was saying. You have to understand, the closet people to foreign that I came in contact with back home were either the Choctaw Indians that I went to school with or someone coming down from the North. During pre-season workouts, I experienced my first taste of being burned out because of all the running we were put through on the track at noon, the hottest part of the day then, and it was the first time I had experienced lifting weights. My coach wanted to redshirt me but I told him I didn’t want to redshirt. I couldn’t see myself sitting out a year and not playing in Coleman Coliseum. I wanted to prove to him and to those back home that I was ready and I could help better the team right then. I called home, upset from how I was feeling and from being homesick. My parents are believers in toughing things out and always finishing what you start. I did, and boy I’m glad I did! I was the third leading scorer and started a lot that year.  We improved from the year before and the experience prepared me for my sophomore year. Not bad for a small town Mississippi girl who some people said couldn’t play in the SEC J

My sophomore year was much like my freshman year. I was the third leading scorer again and my team made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament. By my junior year, we were labeled the “Long Rangers” because of our outside 3- point shooting. We were one of the top 3-point shooting and scoring teams in the nation. We scored over 100 points multiple times that year and we would have more people coming to see us play on the road then at our home games just to see our run- and- gun team. We made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament again. I was invited to Colorado Springs, CO after that season by USA Basketball to try out for one of their select teams. I didn’t make a team but I got the opportunity to go.

In the fall of my senior year our assistant coach, Dottie Kelso, passed away from a brain aneurysm. Her passing and the effect she had on each one of us made for a memorable season. We dedicated our season to Coach K and vowed to make it to the NCAA Final Four so that she could get the ring she wanted. We made it to the Final Four only to get beat by three to Louisiana Tech University, a team we beat in the regular season by double figures. We achieved our goal though and received 1994 Final Four rings and a final ranking of No. 4 in the Nation when it was over with. On an individual note, I had never received an individual award until my senior year. I was named MVP of the NCAA Midwest Regional Tournament in Austin, Texas, All-Tournament Final Four in Richmond, Virginia, and made 2nd Team All-SEC. I had averaged 21 points in the NCAA Tournament and scored 21 points in my last game at Alabama. My uniform number was #21. The countless hours of being in the gym shooting before and/or after practice also paid off. I still hold the record for most 3-pointers scored in a career…18 years later J
After my days at Alabama, I went on to play professional basketball overseas in Spain, Iceland, Sweden, Greece, and Switzerland and I was a part of the WNBA’s Detroit Shock Training Camp. At the age of 27, I became a Graduate Assistant at the University of West Alabama where I earned my Master of Arts in Teaching. I became the assistant coach and later the associate head coach for 9 years at UWA. I had coaching stints at Troy University, East Central Community College, and Meridian Community College. After being a college coach for 12 years I got my first head coaching job at the College of Coastal Georgia last year. Last year was the first year of the women’s basketball program since the 80’s when it was a junior college and the first as a 4-year school. I was hired in April of 2011. I had no players, basketballs, or gear. With the help of some of my contacts and colleagues, I was able to get a team together for the 2011-2012 season. I won my first game as a head coach on Halloween Day with six players. I had male practice players to make up for the lack of players I had so that we could have a full practice of 5 on 5. We played with seven players last season and finished with a record of 19-10. This season we are allowed to compete in the NAIA postseason tournament if we do well. So far, we are 9-2 overall and 3-1 in conference play.

Basketball has always been a big part of my life. I’ve been blessed to have had the opportunities that I have had but most importantly I’ve been blessed with a family that has always believed and supported me. I continue to keep up with some of my Alabama teammates as they will always be family to me…The new and old ones.

Always Rollin with the Tide,

Betsy Harris ‘94

No comments:

Post a Comment