Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Wind Beneath My Wings


When I first began to write about sports for actual money instead of just for fun, back in 1994 for the Delta Democrat Times in Greenville, Miss., my dad was quick to inform me that I would never have any real success as a sports journalist until I did an interview with him.

As my newspaper career would later take me to locales such as Pell City and Andalusia, Alabama, and even gaining me a few awards, my old man would continue to evaluate my performance and overall career by noting that I was a pretty good writer, but that I would still never reach a higher plateau until I did an interview with him.

Of course I usually rolled my eyes whenever he would say this, knowing that such an interview would mean yet another rendition of the stories involving various sports figures and events in his life that he told me over and over.

What I would give to hear one of those stories now.

But in retrospect, he was right, as he was in most cases, as some of his stories, especially involving Alabama football, the main bonding element between the two of us, probably would have translated into quite an interesting read, and I regret now that it never actually happened.

But regrets, I guess, are just a part of the unique and sometimes complicated thing that is the father-son relationship. It is easy to dismiss a father's words of wisdom, his stories and his advice, but then when your dad is no longer around, you realize just how valuable his advice was and how you should have just listened more instead of arguing and trying to be always right.

I recently lost my dad, who was also my hero and my very best friend, after he lost his final battle in what was a series of battles against cancer. I cannot tell you how much I miss seeing him everyday and talking to him, and especially eating his grilled hamburgers and watching Alabama football with him and teasing him about his pants that he held together with safety pins or his collection of cheap eyeglasses.

He was the Sheriff Andy Taylor of my life, as he was always there to attempt to educate me through his own life experiences and share his wisdom, while also being there to get me out of various situations and jams that I often created for myself because I didn't heed his words quite well enough or often enough.  Dad and I had our share of disagreements over myriad things, but I was always fully aware of how much he loved me, especially in his later years, when he mellowed and became a lot more emotional with age and we did become a lot closer.

But even when we did not have anything else to talk about, sports, and especially football, was always the dominant subject that could keep us conversing for hours, and we have no doubt driven my poor mom crazy millions of times keeping the television occupied with all-day football marathons.  Although my dad, a pretty good football player and athlete during his high school days as a Holt Ironman, did not see fit to pass down some of his athletic genes to yours truly, he apparently still found a way to foretell that I would have some significant involvement in sports by naming me after one of his all-time favorite sports heroes.

Many of you already know this, but he named me after iconic St. Louis Cardinals slugger Stan "The Man" Musial.  Dad explained to me that when he was younger, the Cardinals were the only team whose games he could pick up on the radio, so he began to root for the Cards, and especially players such as Musial, a Hall of Famer known as much for his grace, class and character as his incredible talents. Of course me being a Cubs fan, he and I would trash talk quite a bit when it came to our baseball teams, especially when they were playing each other. I would have given anything, however, if he could have seen his beloved team capture one more World Series title before he left this earth.

Ironically, Musial also died this year, passing on Jan. 19 at the age of 92.  

And while dad followed baseball and many other sports quite closely, he is the one most responsible for my passion for Alabama Crimson Tide football, because he was equally passionate about all aspects regarding it.  We would spend countless hours talking about various games, players, past games and championships and of course recruiting. When Nick Saban recently secured the commitment of the nation's No. 1 prospect for the Class of 2014 in Virginia defensive end Da'Shawn Hand, my thoughts immediately turned to how proud dad would be as he would often collect clippings about recruiting and would put a check mark by the photos of different coveted prep prospects once they committed or signed with the Crimson Tide.

Like me, he was reveling in the current reign of success and championship glory for the Crimson Tide program under the direction of Saban, but his thoughts often still drifted back to the Crimson Tide football years that he enjoyed under the direction of coaches such as the legendary Paul W. "Bear" Bryant and Frank Thomas and some of his favorite former Tide standouts such as Harry Gilmer (whom he almost named me after, but I am so glad he didn't since I am already a hairy-enough Griffin), Pat Trammell, Billy Neighbors and Lee Roy Jordan.

Although he repeated them NUMEROUS times, I was more than anything fascinated by his stories regarding Crimson Tide football, especially Bama football under the direction of Bryant.  He and mom and many of his friends had quite a few adventures during their years of traveling all over the place to attend Crimson Tide games, whether they were in Baton Rouge, Knoxville or even in Mobile.
 
Not only did dad get to watch his favorite players on the football field during games, he actually got to know quite a few of them when he worked with them back when college players were allowed to actually have summer jobs, and there was even one occasion where he and a buddy wound up bunking with a few of the Tide players during one of the Crimson Tide's home games away from Tuscaloosa. Dad also told stories of sneaking into Alabama practices during Bryant's tenure at the Capstone and witnessing the legendary coach dressing down his players, nervously hoping that Bryant would not spot him watching and give him the same treatment.

There were also some stories about dad that always received a few laughs, even at his recent funeral, but also emphasized just how important sports were to him.  Dad was actually very close to being late for his own wedding because he and his best man were at Tuscaloosa's famed Foster Auditorium watching the state high school basketball tournament, a tournament that also did make him late for his rehearsal dinner.

And then, where does dad take Mom on their honeymoon? Believe it or not, he took her all the way to St. Petersburg, Fla. for Major League Baseball spring training games. Obviously it was not the most romantic honeymoon destination for sure, but I guess it gave her an early indication that sports would indeed be a major part of their lives together, and I guess she was OK with it, as they were happily married for an amazingly loving 56 years.

During the past few years, although he still followed sports, his love for it faded quite a bit.  Too many highly-paid athletes, too many scandals and controversies involving athletes and too many me-first showboat athletes. He was old-school and athletic divas totally turned him off. I guess I am just like him in that regard.
But one thing that never changed or faded was his love of the Crimson Tide on the football field, and I have to say that I am giving him a lot of grief right now for leaving me before Bama could win this latest national title, and watching games without him is just not the same. It leaves me with an empty feeling that I doubt I will ever totally get over.

Hopefully Bama can survive the rest of this season and capture that third consecutive title, and just know if that happens, it will totally be for you Dad.....

I miss you greatly, and I love you more than words can say.

ROLL TIDE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment